Monday, June 11, 2007

Trabajamos(We worked).

Day 2,

Today was our first full day of work. We split up in teams and tackled the tasks ahead of us. Some of the projects that we worked on were; digging out dirt for a sidewalk, painting multiple rooms, breaking out the glass in the windows to make room for new thicker glass, cleaning and repainting the window frames, varnishing a roof, moving a gigantic sand pile so that a truck can fit through the front gate, leveling out the front yard, etc... there were many more tasks that I can't possibly list.

I believe that God gave us some amazing strenght and stamina today because we all worked harder than we were used too, but never ran out of energy. After varnishing a roof and digging a trench my body was starting to wear, but all I had to think about were the faces of the little kids that we met yesterday, and I was ready to go full steam again.

There is one specific story that I need to share. On one of my visits to go to the bathroom in the orpanage,(really it was to hug on some kids), I gave a package of candy to a little kid. What really touched me was that the first thing that he did was go and share the candy with the other kids. The children that have nothing know how to share better than anyone I have ever met. It's something that we could all learn from.

I have never worked so hard and felt so good about it. This will truly be a day to remember.

Kevin Guier
Gateway Church of Blue Springs.

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is from Laci Thurn
Dear Kevin,
Isn't it amazing when God reveals to you that He sent you there to serve but in reality you are being served just as much or more. You are being served with life lessons about gratitude, simplicity and unconditional love. Kevin, enjoy every second. Soak in every single thing that God has for you. I pray that it will be a life altering experience that you never forget.

Laci Thurn
p.s. give my husband a hug! :) (no really, do it!)

Vanessa said...

Hey Kev!!! Dad, Brandon, and I are all sitting here reading over the blogs! Man, I WISH I WAS THERE!!! Next year, I'll be hauling baby Johnson along with me! :) We went to the Royals game and they beat the Cardinals 8 to 1! Wow, what a game! Marcus Andrews also came with us.

Tell mom that dad is piping in from behind me and he wants to reassure mom that the plants are sitll alive and he hasn't eaten the fish yet. Dad is also going to party with he Butlers Thursday night at our pool so say a little prayer! :)

Tell Emily, Emily, Adri, and Mandi I said hi! I am so missing being there!

The stories are all so amazing, I can't wait to read more! Isn't God amazing!

Give mom a hug for me and tell her we said hi! We love you both!