Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thoughts from a Marble

I don't consider myself a really tough guy. However, in a college football game I once dislocated my right thumb tackling a receiver. I played three more plays, had the trainer pop it back in, taped it up and played the rest of the game and never shed one tear. This week I've cried no less than 25 times. Not from phycial pain, but from seeing such loving and sweet children who have known me for less than 36 hours who see me and run up to me with such love, jump into my arms and yell "Mateo!!" All of you out there looking for God, He's here, in Peru. You can see him on these children's faces. You can hear Him in their laughter. You can see him working through those that run the orphanage. He is alive and He is here!

Today was another day of hard work. I had the fortunate duty to spend the morning breaking up a floor with a sledge hammer. And that is not a sarcastic comment, I really do consider myself fortunate to have done it because I was able to spend the morning with three Peruvian youth who were helping me. What was amazing was that we really couldn't communicate verbally very well. They didn't know much English and I didn't know much Spanish. However, we worked as a well oiled machine to get the floor busted up. By the end of the morning we were laughing and had developed a few inside jokes of our own. It is amazing how quickly you can become friends with someone so different than you if you just let your guard down and are willing to get rid of your selfish pride.

We then held a VBS session in the afternoon that my lovely wife will detail in the next blog, and headed back to the orphanage for a childs birthday party (which again my wife will detail in the next blog, let's just say, I busted several moves to Spanish childrens' songs!).

It was an amazing and tiring day. There is so much work to be done here and the people have such joy in their hearts. Whoever reads this needs to seriously consider coming down here for another mission trip. And I'm very serious about that. You should come! We all should!

"Take care of the orphans and widows." Yeah, Jesus said that.

2 comments:

Cindi Skeen said...

Matt, Joey warned me I would cry when I read the BLOG today. I had been putting it off trying to get some CAMP letters done, but could wait no longer. I picture you with those children calling out to Mateo. I know they just love having you there. You are so good with kids. I thank God for the opportunity and testimony of how you and Adri got there. I wish I were there with you. THANK YOU for sharing your days with us. We continue to pray for you all. May God continue to bless.

Sharon said...

Dear Matt and Adri,
I just had a chance to read your blogs today while in Des Moines. What can I say...I wish I could be there to experience what you two have. I'm so moved by what you have written . I want you both to know that I've been truly blessed by God allowing me to be your mother and mother in law. God has given both of you a loving heart that is bigger than I could ever have imagined. It's so awesome to see the two of you share God's love with so many people in this world. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories. Safe travles home and remember we love you both dearly. Hugs & Kisses, MOM & DAD