Sunday, June 10, 2007

Tears of Joy and Sadness

Peru? Where is that? I am the girl that has no idea about geographical locations. Peru is in South America! We left Quick Trip on Saturday at 5:40am. Larry Thurn is an Ace of a driver. We arrived in plenty of time to sit around and laugh at the airport. Friends and family were there to see us off. After a long flight we finally arrived at the Hostel at 2:00am. Crawling into a cool damp bed made the flight feel like a walk in the park. Really, the Hostel is right on the beach. Very cool and wet. Middle of winter season. Not one of us beleived the sweetheart from Peru that spoke in our meeting and told us that it was going to be cold. Imagine that, Missourians thinking that we knew better then a native from Peru!

Anyway, Sunday started with a walk on the beach with Jana. We were chased back up on the beach by the gigantic waves rolling in. It was awesome except are pants got wet. We were already dressed for the day and with it being so cold and damp, our now wet pants kept us nice and cool during the two hour church service.

The church service was glorious! The pastor shared that he came to know Christ when he was older in life, 50? His love for Christ was evident in his message. He truly cares for the world to know the love of Jesus. The service incorporated all ages. The children shared what they learned in their morning class. Altough we did not speak their language, it was clear that God was glorfied by all that was going on in His church. My favorite moment in the morning was when I turned around and saw Jesus holding a child on His knee. I thought, that is just a man, then I thought, no, that is Jesus, holding a child that has no father to care for her. At that time, the first tear fell.

Matt, Ben and Emily shared in the morning service. Matt read Proverbs 3:5-6. Amazing to know and trust that God sees the big painting on the wall while we see only a small corner of the painting. Matt encouraged us to trust God and not lean on our own undrestanding. Ben shared so humbly his love for Christ and how he came to know Him. Emily rocked the house when she spoke her testimony in Spanish! Even though I did not know what she said, I could see the love of Christ in her smile as she spoke.

The rest of the day was spent loving on the children. Everyone on the team was covered in childen's arms and legs from noon - 6:00pm. The chidren were so loving and affectionate. We took a bus ride to a restuarant. A little girl, 6, fell asleep on my lap. I couldn't stop the tears. I only tought of how she has no mother to hold her as she sleeps. As I look around for the next several hours, I am constantly reminded of how Jesus is loving these children through this team. Kevin was covered with children, Matt played ball relentlesly, Leanne jumped on the trampoline with many, Ben carried them on his shoulder, Many played Vollyball with many, Emily sought out the older staff to minister to them and make themfeel valued, Lisa bouth them all candy, Larry let them flp over using his body as the walking post and I could go on and on. It was incrediable!How Awesome is our God!

I will close with this, I know that God will get His way this week and I am so grateful to be a part of what He has planned. Thanks for supporting us with you prayers.

I am totally tired after a long trip here and I hate typing, please forgive any typing errors! I can't wait to return and tell you more stories. It is so hard to type them all. Corbett is shooting some awesome footage for all to see!

When we return, give Mike a pat on the back for his leadership on the trip!

Dawn

3 comments:

Sara Hoppe said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I am praying and thinking about all of you! What a great opportunity you have before you! Exciting! Dawn and Jana, stay out of the water in the a.m. Brrrrrrrrr! :)

Cindi Skeen said...

Dawn, We made a "Prayer Card" with a map and picture of our Peru Team and passed them out at Gateway yesterday (I wasn't sure where Peru was either). During our worship time yesterday I took them to KidsQuests and the 4's and 5's and talked with the kids about putting this card on their beds to remind them to pray for our Peru Team. Dakota Thurn spoke up and said, "my dad is there". Then I went to Josy's class and gave them a card. Josy said, "I want one". Josy and I had a great day on Saturday! She was in great spirits at church yesterday. I told her to "CALL ME when she gets tired of all those boys at her house" and she could come see Megan and me. Enjoy every minute in Peru! This week will fly by. I can't wait to see you and hear all your stories. Your family is doing good and will appreciate you so much more when you return. Joey said this morning, "I don't know how single parents do it." Tell Mandy I said HI! and not to donky kong anyone while she is gone. I love you!

Susan Stiles said...

Hey, girl! I hope you are being a good follower!! It sounds like all is going so well. I can't wait to hear your stories and how you are experiencing God as you work with those children. It has to be amazing. Thinking of you and wish you the best. Give Mike and Ben a big hug for me. Take care.