Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Another Dose...

Here's another Marble speaking...
Today was something special...no different from any other day here, but different from any day back at home. I was more of a servant today than I have been in a while...if not ever.

Construction was back in full affect today. Hannah's Home is looking BEAUTIFUL and many projects are being completed, little by little. It's lots of teamwork, that's for sure.

This afternoon, we held VBS. I promise we were just as blessed as those precious litte children were during that short while we had with them. We started the afternoon singing Spanish songs outside the church. It was SO cool to see the kids gather around and move to music with all of us. We were jammin'...probably way out of tune, but no one cared. Then we moved inside to church and had a play directed by Dawn "Bag Lady" Butler. It was very sweet. Then, organized chaos broke loose. We passed out T-shirts to all the kids and coloring books. The looks on their faces - some because it was a cool thing to color, others because it was something to wear. They colored the shirts and books and wore those shirts with pride. We all had an autographing session to remember each other. After the coloring, we went outside to play a game. We had a little relay race with orange slices. The kids ran back and forth to eat a little piece of fruit. It was so neat - they played a fun game AND got a piece of food, which some maybe that was it for the day...
We thought we were done there but the kids ran back into the church so they could color more.

After VBS we headed back to the orphanage for a birthday party! Two of the children there had birthdays to celebrate. The best part of the party was the dancing. We all partnered up with one of the children and danced away to some Spanish songs! We had a soul train tunnel, a conga line, and a semi-chicken-dance-circle-thingy! It was awesome.

Life is good...it's pretty special to see the kids and their open hearts. I really can't put into words the emotions and mental pictures I am carrying with me. It's something that simply changes your perspective and outlook on life.

And I'll leave with this...the number one lesson I have been learning is TRUST. We look into relationships differently in the States. We need someone to "gain our trust" and have them earn it from us. Here it's the opposite. Here, they are open books that need someone to "break that trust" in order to have them not trust. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it's so apparent with these blessed children. I look at relationships differently already.

2 comments:

Sara Hoppe said...

I sure wish I was there! I absolutely cannot wait to hear more. What a blessing you are to those children. What an opportunity you have to love on those children! :)

Amanda Meyer said...

How cool! I can't wait to see all of the picutres and get filled in on the rest of the stories. You all are making me really wish I was there. I am so happy for you that you are taking the time to not only realize the important job you are doing for Christ, but are having FUN in the process. I do hope that you come back from there a changed person, and I pray that your passion and excitement does not fade with time. Keep up your hard work. There will be plenty of time for catch up sleep! Love you guys!